MTG Arena Brings Friday Night Magic at Home
With the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve all been advised to stay in at home if at all possible. Avoiding large groups of people is best. That’s harmful to our local card shops as well as Friday Night Magic. Wizards of the Coast is trying to help the best they can with Friday Night Magic at Home in MTG Arena.
Friday Night Magic Online
Starting March 27, MTG Arena will have Friday Night Magic at Home events going on to tackle for free. Friday Night Magic is a weekly ritual. It brings us card game players together at our local stores to play, try out our decks, and compete in person. With social distancing, we can’t very well do that anymore.
There will also be rewards for participants in Friday Night Magic at Home, in the form of digital card sleeves to add to their MTG Arena collection. But these card sleeves will be distributed by your local store, not by the MTG Arena team (while supplies last, at least).
If you aren’t part of a local game store’s online community, or if they don’t have one set up, there are a couple ofo ways you can get connected. One is to simply reach out to your store and ask (give them a little bit of time—many of them are getting this information today as well).
Here’s How It Works
- Play in the event (win or lose as much as you want)
- Take a screenshot of your event page
- Go to locator.wizards.com to find your local game store’s website
- Join their social media channel
- Share your screenshot with a nice message on their channel
- The store will message you a code through that social media channel
Events are currently scheduled for March 27, April 3 and April 10. Each event will last for 24 hours, starting at midnight Thursday night (Pacific time) and lasting through midnight Friday night (Pacific time). Here are the events you can look forward to.
- March 27 – Challenger Decks: Choose between the four preconstructed 2020 Challenger Decks and jump in to challenge others.
- April 3 – All Access: Build a deck with any cards in Standard, whether you own them or not! Play, build more decks, play again.
- April 10 – Historic Brawl: Build a 60-card Brawl deck with your Standard and Historic cards, to do battle!
Wizards is doing what they can to connect players and communities, and this is just the first step. Local stores will need a lot of help during this time, having no relief, and significantly less business. Take care of yourself first, but don’t forget the businesses that have been kind to you. Friday Night Magic at Home is a good start to helping connect Magic players together in this trying time.