Everything You Need to Know About Modern Warfare Season 4
After a good bit of waiting, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Warzone got some major changes and additions this week with the release of Modern Warfare Season 4. The patch notes are available now, detailing the new additions, including Warzone Rumble, Contraband, and much more.
Modern Warfare Season 4 Is Here After Delay
The Modern Warfare Season 4 patch notes are finally here after a delay that pushed back the season for a week. This was an understandable delay to make the conversation last week be about what matters currently in the United States, rather than a new season of an existing game.
But now that the delay is up, players can start downloading and installing the Modern Warfare Season 4 update right now. It is worth noting that it is a massive one that comes close to 86GB or so on some platforms, so players should watch out as this could take a while on certain internet speeds.
But the wait for Season 4 is certainly worth it, especially if you are a Warzone player. This is the first season so far for the battle royale game that has seen such amazing numbers of additions and changes that will make the game better than ever before.
Oddly enough, though Modern Warfare is the base game that was used for creating Warzone and the two are interconnected, Warzone seems like the focus of this season for now. New game modes and maps will likely be coming to Modern Warfare as the season goes on.
For now, though, the patch notes are rather scarce in detail from what we can see, but most of the new additions and changes are relegated to Warzone, at least for the start of the fourth season. We are going to go over everything that we know about the new season so far.
Warzone Rumble Arrives as First New Game Mode
First off, perhaps the most important addition this season is the release of the new battle royale game mode: Warzone Rumble. Call of Duty Warzone is getting an upgrade this season with a game mode that is surprisingly like another battle royale game’s mode, right down to the name itself.
Warzone Rumble is Fortnite’s Team Rumble but in a Call of Duty game. This brand new game mode is now available and allows two teams of 50 players each to go into Verdansk and battle it out across the map with custom loadouts, vehicles, and respawns available.
In this way, it is exactly what Team Rumble has already done, but with two teams of 50 players rather than smaller teams of 20 players each that are in Fortnite right now. Overall, this is a good mode to have as it is Team Deathmatch on a massive scale, which is fun and changes up the style.
But what is weird and striking about this move is that Warzone Rumble didn’t even bother to remove the Rumble part from the name and give it something else. That is a strange move, but the game mode is welcome nonetheless, as it is different from both normal battle royale and Plunder.
Some of the details regarding Warzone Rumble are scarce at this time, like the contracts are still available in this mode for picking up some extra cash and the like. Some of the contracts like bounties might be hard to pull off, but you could certainly capture points and so on.
Weapon Mastery Challenges and Contraband
Also new to Call of Duty Warzone and Modern Warfare are the weapon mastery challenges. These don’t add anything new to the weapon skins tiers like Obsidian did in recent memory, but they are great challenges for unlocking some cosmetic items beyond skins.
How it works is that once you unlock the gold skin for a particular weapon, these mastery challenges will become available. There are eight challenges in total for each of the weapons, and all of them will grant the player some awesome rewards for completing them.
In total, there are four player cards and four emblems that you can get per weapon mastery challenger per weapon, so there is certainly a lot more to do now this season. The challenges include two kill challenges, two headshot ones, and four additional challenges.
The additional challenges involve just reaching gold, platinum, Damascus, and Obsidian for that particular weapon. If you can complete all eight challenges for each of the 51 weapons available, you will get a special sticker and player card to show off online.
And yes, that is more than 400 new mastery weapon challenges that are available in this update. If you have already reached Obsidian somehow for every weapon, this will be enough to keep you busy for some time until new weapons and tasks are added to the game.
Another new feature for Warzone is the release of a new contract type. This is something that we have been wanting for a while now and the new one is pretty good. Contraband is a new, rare contract type that comes with a permanent blueprint reward with each one that you do, which is awesome.
The Contraband contracts only have a chance to spawn in the game for teams after some has already completed a previous contract. If you see it appear, quickly grab the briefcase at the designated point and take it to the target location to call in a helicopter to extract the item.
It is just a delivery contract, but the guaranteed blueprint reward is one that players should not pass up. And don’t worry if another team grabs the bag before your team does as you can just eliminate the player carrying it to pick it up and steal the prize for your team.
Warzone Events Explained
If contracts weren’t enough for you in Call of Duty Warzone, there are new in-game events that will play out in some matches of battle royale that you play. There is a chance that an event will occur in each match, and only one event will happen per match that you are in.
There are three special events in total at the launch of Season 4 and they will impact the gameplay, pace, and style of the match instantly. They can happen in the match randomly without any advance notice, but they will typically happen in the middle of a match before the Gulag closes.
The first of the three events is Jailbreak, which is exactly what it sounds like. Perhaps the most important and game-changing event of the three, all players that have been eliminated will be released back into the match for another round. Yes, all players that have been eliminated thus far.
It doesn’t matter if you were in the middle of your one on one duel in the Gulag to fight for the right to live or were spectating in wait for your turn, you will come back in. It seems like this will also extend to those players who even lost their Gulag match, so it is worth sticking around and spectating now.
Unlike the other two events, everyone in the game will have a one-minute notice before the Jailbreak event kicks off. This gives the already living players a chance to gather up gear for teammates who are about to come back to the land of the living.
While this is an amazing way to have a second chance at fighting, it also means that the enemies will be coming back as well. It is like a restart of the battle royale match in a way, so players should prepare as this means that you could encounter players again that were a hard fight before, but you could also get revenge against someone at the same time.
The second event is Fire Sale, which gives players in the match a temporary but amazing discount on items at the buy stations around the map. Items will be on sale for up to 80% or completely free. This is a awesome event that will let you stock up easily on various items that you might need for the coming fights.
The one thing that you need to keep in mind, though, is that this will only last for a single minute and there are only so many buy stations around the map of Verdansk. This means that you are likely to run into a lot of other players who are trying the same thing of reviving a teammate for cheap and so on, so you should come prepared for a fight.
Last but sort of least is the Supply Choppers event. This third and final event available at launch brings in a heavy armored helicopter to the match. It won’t attack players but destroying it will grant you some sweet loot. It has a lot of health, so it may take a while, so watch out for other teams at the same time.
Playlist Update for Modern Warfare and Warzone
Three new maps are available for Modern Warfare at the start of this season, including Zhokov Scrapyard for regular online multiplayer matches, Barakett Promenade for Ground War, and Trench for Gunfight. Those three maps play directly into the playlists for the start of Season 4.
The Ground War playlist has been updated to include the new Barakett Promenade map, so players can check out this interesting new location there. Trench Moshpit 2v2 includes the ability to check out Trench all the time while this playlist is around in two on two matches.
Then there is the Scrapyard 24/7 playlist if you want to see the new Zhokov Scrapyard in action 24 hours a day, seven days a week while this playlist is available. And last but not least, there is Blueprint Gunfight where the two on two mode gives players all the same blueprint weapons.
On the Warzone side of things, Call of Duty is giving players the element of choice finally with every existing playlist (except one) that has been a major part of the game being available all together at the same time. Here is the full list of playlists for Warzone players:
- Blood Money
- Warzone Rumble: New game mode
This is amazing, as this might be the first time that we have seen all four player count sizes of battle royale game modes together all at once. But the one thing that seems to be missing is Plunder. Unless it was just left out of the playlists section, this might be gone for a limited time. If this were to be, it might be because of the new Rumble mode. We will have to wait and see on this one.
As with any new update and season, there are some bug fixes and changes that have happened to both Modern Warfare and Warzone in Season 4. There aren’t too many this time around, but you can find the full list of them below.
- Fix for some players not receiving their season 3 emblem
- Fixes to help reduce players encountering the error code 13-71
- Fix for a bug where the Ghost perk was not hiding players from the heartbeat sensor when viewing the killcam
- Fixed an issue where some players were unable to activate a nuke after getting the appropriate number of kills
- Fix for a bug where the fourth Operator mission for Talon was not tracking as intended
- Fix for an issue where some players could find long wait times when attempting to load into Ground War matches
- Fix for a bug where neutral Hardpoints were appearing yellow instead of gray
- Various exploit fixes across multiple multiplayer maps
- Fix for the Officer challenge “get 20 kill while crouched” not tracking properly for some players
- Fixed a bug where the white health regen was triggering on downing other players even if Quick Fix wasn’t equipped
- Fix for an exploit where players could sometimes call in duplicate UAVs
- Added new weapon perks to the Specialist bonus (the bonus earned after getting 8 kills while Specialist is active): Frangible-Disabling, Frangible-Wounding, Mo’Money, Recon, Heavy Hitter, FMJ, and Presence of Mind
- Fixed a bug where players were unable to perform executions while on some elevated surfaces
- Fixes to help prevent an issue where players were able to move before the match countdown timer completed
- Fixes to help prevent against graphical corruption issues some players were seeing
- Fix for the For the Cause grip tape not appearing properly on the base M4
- Improved stability fixes for the PC platform
- Fixes to help prevent issues with voice chat
- Lowered the ammo count for reload warning on belt fed LMGs
- Fixed bug with HDR and Sleight of Hand where reloading would not give ammo to the player
- Loot update: New weapons and updated blueprints. These include the Fennec, CR-56 Amax, Renetti, and more
- Fixed a bug where the Recon contract could spawn inside an ammo supply cache, making it unusable
- Fixed an issue where after completing the Contraband mission and calling in the extract helicopter, players could shoot the helicopter without receiving hitmarkers and the helicopter would remain on screen indefinitely
- Fixed a bug where players were able to drop their weapon in the Gulag
- Fix for an exploit where players were able to duplicate self-revive kits
- Fix for a bug where a player could be stuck in third-person gameplay
- Daily challenges are now displayed alongside multiplayer and Warzone challenges
- Fixed an issue where unlocking an Operator skin in co-op would not unlock the base skin for that Operator as well
- Fixed a bug where the game would not end correctly if the last player alive used Team Revive immediately before dying
Special Operations: Survival
- Fix for being able to duplicate the Juggernaut Suit Munition minigun
- Fix for rare instances of waves not ending properly
- Fixed an exploit on St. Petrograd where players could fully hide from soldiers behind a bar
For more on the Modern Warfare Season 4 patch notes, be sure to check out the official blog post over on the Infinity Ward website to see everything that was added and changed this season. More to come in the future regarding new game modes and maps this season as it goes on.