Everything You Need to Know About Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered
Activision has done it once again right after releasing Call of Duty: Warzone by showing up out of nowhere and releasing a brand newish game for consoles and PC without a word of announcement or marketing before that. We are, of course, talking about Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered.
Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered Confirmed
The long-named Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered is the latest title to release in the equally long-running series. It is exactly what it sounds like and happens to be a remaster of the second game in the Modern Warfare sub-series.
The announcement of Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered comes literally at the same time as the release of it on PS4. This is a rather odd way of handling things. It happens to be something that isn’t a first for Call of Duty publisher Activision in recent memory.
The same situation happened recently with the battle royale spin-off title Warzone that was teased, leaked, and rumored before it finally released at the same time as its actual announcement.
The same happened with Modern Warfare 2 as we had heard about this title a while ago from leakers and data miners. Rumors initially followed by miners who went through the most recent update for Modern Warfare 2019 and found files that hinted at its release last week.
It didn’t take long for the leaks to continue until the release date leaked earlier this week and ended up correct. Now, we are happy to announce that Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered is out now and players can start purchasing it.
Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered Release Dates
The best part of the Modern Warfare 2 announcement is that it is out right now. The release date for the remastered and beloved game is set for today, Tuesday, March 31 and you can grab it right now if you are reading this. Well, not everyone will be able to grab it actually.
The release date of the remastered campaign is more complicated than you would think at first glance. The exclusivity deals between Sony and Activision have reared their head once again. There is more than one release date for this title.
If you are reading this right now, you can go out and buy it right now… if you are on PS4. For those of you who are on PC and Xbox One, you are sore out of luck for now. It is a timed exclusive for PS4 and will be for the next month or so.
It isn’t a super long time to wait but it is unfortunate in the current climate of the world where many players are stuck at home due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This would be great for PC and Xbox One players to have something to play but they will have to wait for now.
After all, this exclusivity deal was probably set in place long before any of the coronavirus stuff began around the world. That said, it is a bit of an unfortunate situation for players other than PS4 ones. Thankfully, the wait is only around a month.
The current release date for Xbox One and PC is set for around April 30. In the meantime, you can pre-purchase it and gain some rewards to tie you over.
Modern Warfare 2 General Details: Remaster, Developer
With all of that said, let’s get into everything that you need to know about Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered. As you would expect, this is a remaster of a beloved game in the series: Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. Originally released in 2009, it is one of the favorites in the series.
Fans have long remembered it fondly as one of the best in the series, both in terms of its singleplayer campaign story and the online multiplayer portion. Now more than 10 years old, the long-awaited remaster of the title is here in a similar vein to what happened with the original Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare in 2016.
It has the entire campaign available in this remastered version, with stunning high-definition visuals that allow for up to 4K resolution and HDR support on consoles. Also, the PC version of the game has an uncapped frame rate for really pushing the title as well as ultra-wide monitor support.
In addition to that, the title has improved texture resolution and detail, revamped animation, remastered audio, and much more. It was originally developed by Modern Warfare 2019 developer Infinity Ward but this remaster was handled by Beenox, in particular.
How to Get Modern Warfare 2
To enjoy everything that Modern Warfare 2 has to offer, you are going to have to purchase it as you would expect. However, like the release date situation, there is a bit more to this than meets the eye that complicates the whole thing a bit.
For one, contrary to how the leaks and rumors painted it, there is only one way to purchase Modern Warfare 2 Remastered. There is only a single bundle and it costs $19.99 on PS4, Xbox One, and PC. That is a relatively cheap price but the fact of the matter is that this is a remaster of an older game.
Though this is the only way that you can purchase it, it doesn’t just come with the game itself but some extra goodies as well in this bundle. Players will also receive the Underwater Demo Team Classic Ghost Bundle for Modern Warfare and Warzone for free as part of the package.
It includes the UDT Ghost Operator skin inspired by The Only Easy Day… Was Yesterday campaign level in the title. In addition to that, players will also get two weapon blueprints, a weapon charm, new finishing move, voice quip, animated calling card, emblem, and two battle pass tier skips.
All of these in the bundle will be available for immediate access in both Modern Warfare and Warzone since both games share the same progression and battle pass system. These extra items in the bundle are available to even those players on Xbox One and PC right now.
Though you can’t play the campaign right this minute on those two platforms, you enjoy these items in Warzone and Modern Warfare. However, the caveat is, of course, that you must own either of those games to benefit from it.
Are Modern Warfare/Warzone Required?
But the weirdness about all of this doesn’t end there. It brings up the question of whether you need to own the 2019 Modern Warfare reboot from Infinity Ward to play through the remastered campaign.
As far as we can tell about this complicated situation, you will not need to own Modern Warfare or even the free-to-play Warzone to get Modern Warfare 2 Remastered. The wording on this is a bit weird in the official announcement, so be careful but we do think you will be fine for just the campaign as it doesn’t seem to be DLC, specifically, for Modern Warfare.
The only reason why is because the wording in the official announcement is lined up in a strange place where it looks as if it is solely referencing the Underwater Demo bundle and the rumors in the past. Regardless, it wouldn’t make sense for this to just be a DLC expansion so we believe it is wholly standalone, at least for the campaign part.
Does It Have Multiplayer?
This brings everything to perhaps the most important question of all: is there Modern Warfare 2 Remastered Multiplayer in this bundle? The short and definitive answer to this is, no, there is no online multiplayer aspect to this remastered version of the game.
As mentioned in the name itself, it is solely the singleplayer story campaign missions. All of them are here, but you won’t find the online multiplayer anywhere to be found in this particular bundle. If you are confused about this whole situation, just know that you aren’t alone.
We are also confused by this strange way of handling the Modern Warfare 2 Remastered bundle, especially if it is standalone and not part of the Modern Warfare package. It would make sense if it was a DLC story campaign but that doesn’t seem to be the case.
The Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Remastered game in 2016 had its online multiplayer intact even though it was also bundled with Infinite Warfare and available on its own at the time.
But there is no multiplayer here if we haven’t made ourselves more clearly. This is important because we don’t want to see someone, unfortunately, purchase this product only to realize they didn’t get multiplayer as well. You will only have the singleplayer story to play through.
Modern Warfare is getting some maps from this title and could get more in the coming seasons.
How Many Levels/Missions Are There?
How much bang are you getting for your buck with this package? It comes with the complete Modern Warfare 2 campaign originally part of the 2009 title back in the day.
This includes everything in the main singleplayer campaign, including stuff like the controversial No Russian level that certainly made waves in the media and internet back in its time for what it had players do in the gameplay.
As such, you can expect all of the missions and levels from the campaign story included in the package. If you forgot or never played, there are 19 missions to play across three separate acts and an epilogue mission.
You can find the full list of the mission names below, but beware of minor spoilers from the story in the names. It doesn’t give away much but it is worth keeping in mind nonetheless.
- Mission 1: S.S.D.D
- Mission 2: Team Player
- No Russian
- The Hornet’s Nest
- The Only Easy Day… Was Yesterday
- The Gulag
- Of Their Own Accord
- Second Sun
- Whiskey Hotel
- Loose Ends
- The Enemy Of My Enemy
- Just Like Old Times
That rounds out to about a dollar per mission plus you are getting the free goodies for Warzone and Modern Warfare included in the remastered campaign.
Modern Warfare 2 Trophy List
If the missions list didn’t turn you away in terms of spoilers, there is also the trophy list that leaked for the game prior to the launch and announcement of it. There are 51 trophies in particular (via PowerPyx) for the PS4 version with one platinum trophy also included. You can find them all in mostly alphabetic order below. Heavy spoiler warning.
- Back in the Saddle: Help train the local militia.
- Danger Close: Get hand picked for Shepherd’s elite squad.
- Cold Shoulder: Infiltrate the snowy mountain side base.
- Tag ’em and bag ’em: Find Rojas in the Favelas.
- Royale with Cheese: Defend Burger Town.
- Soap on a Rope: Storm the gulag.
- Desperate Times: Execute the plan to help the Americans.
- Whiskey Hotel: Take back Whiskey Hotel.
- The Pawn: Assault Makarov’s safehouse.
- Out of the Frying Pan…: Complete the mission in the airplane graveyard.
- For the Record: Complete the single player campaign on any difficulty.
- The Price of War: Complete the single player campaign on Hardened or Veteran difficulty.
- First Day of School: Complete ‘S.S.D.D.’ and ‘Team Player’ on Veteran difficulty.
- Black Diamond: Complete ‘Cliffhanger’ on Veteran difficulty.
- Turistas: Complete ‘Takedown’ and ‘The Hornet’s Nest’ on Veteran difficulty.
- Red Dawn: Complete ‘Wolverines!’ and ‘Exodus’ on Veteran difficulty.
- Prisoner 627: Complete ‘The Only Easy Day… Was Yesterday’ and ‘The Gulag’ on Veteran difficulty.
- Ends Justify the Means: Complete ‘Contingency’ on Veteran difficulty.
- Homecoming: Complete ‘Of Their Own Accord’, ‘Second Sun’, and ‘Whiskey Hotel’ on Veteran difficulty.
- Queen takes Rook: Complete ‘Loose Ends’ and ‘The Enemy of My Enemy’ on Veteran difficulty.
- Off the Grid: Complete ‘Just Like Old Times’ and ‘Endgame’ on Veteran difficulty.
- Pit Boss: Run The Pit in ‘S.S.D.D.’ and finish with a final time under 30 seconds.
- Ghost: Plant the C4 in ‘Cliffhanger’ without alerting or injuring anyone in the blizzard.
- Colonel Sanderson: Kill 7 chickens in under 10 seconds in ‘The Hornet’s Nest’.
- Ten plus foot-mobiles: Kill at least 10 enemies with one Predator Missile.
- Unnecessary Roughness: Use a Riot shield to beat down an enemy.
- Knock-knock: Kill 4 enemies with 4 shots during a slow-mo breach.
- Some Like it Hot: Kill 6 enemies in a row using a thermal weapon.
- Two Birds with One Stone: Kill 2 enemies with a single bullet.
- The Road Less Traveled: Collect 22 enemy intel items.
- Leave No Stone Unturned: Collect 45 enemy intel items.
- Drive By: Kill 20 enemies in a row while driving a vehicle.
- The Harder They Fall: Kill 2 rappelling enemies in a row before they land on their feet.
- Desperado: Kill 5 enemies in a row using 5 different weapons or attachments.
- Look Ma Two Hands: Kill 10 enemies in a row using akimbo weapons.
- No Rest For the Wary: Knife an enemy without him ever knowing you were there.
- Three-some: Kill at least 3 enemies with a single shot from a grenade launcher.
- Target Confirmed: Instruct the Honey Badger to kill 80 enemies in ‘Exodus’.
- Angel Savior: Do not get your Predator Drone destroyed in ‘Contingency’.
- Do NOT push this button: Ring the red bell in both rooms and survive the attack.
- The Student Surpasses the Master: Beat BX time in ‘S.S.D.D.’.
- The Real Gun Game: Complete any mission but ‘S.S.D.D.’ and ‘Endgame’ without reloading weapons or using melee attacks.
- Precognitive Paranoia: Kill Shepherd.
- Immortal: Complete every mission without dying or reloading to a checkpoint at any difficulty.
- Silent Skies: Destroy both BTRs without using Predator Drones in ‘Wolverines!’
- Clay-more: Kill 11 enemies using Claymores in ‘Loose Ends’.
- Bird Hunter: Destroy 10 choppers using the Javelin Launcher in ‘Of Their Own Accord’.
- Hot Potato: Destroy the helicopter using frag grenades in ‘The Only Easy Day… Was Yesterday’.
- Clown in Training: The U.S. Army Rangers ain’t no place for clowns.
- Headbanger: Kill an enemy with the impact damage from a frag grenade to the head.